Do you let yourself feel your feelings? Do you stuff the difficult ones? Are you able to express frustration and anger in a healthy way? Is there anyone available to listen to your sadness? I come to the DANCE FLOOR to meet these needs and I can’t say enough about how powerful and helpful it has been for me. This is the place I can express myself free of any judgement (unless i’m the judge of course!). Letting myself express my emotions was not easy for me, until I started "Telling My Story to the Dance Floor”. This process of telling my story without words and only with my body's movements, shapes and sounds is profoundly healing and the main reason I keep finding a deeper meaning and mystery in this work.
Evocative Emotion, otherwise known as "Tell Your Story to the Dance Floor", is a powerful JourneyDance quality. The place where we express everything we need to express. The pain, the sadness, the wordless, the angst, the frustration…Whatever we are feeling that doesn’t get any space for release! By dancing, moving, grunting, shaking, expressing it, we turn our ANGST to ART! By dancing it freely we release a discharge valve inside us and usually feel some relief. By expressing on our own terms, we are taking our story back, we are owning our power and allow ourselves to forgive and embrace the parts of us we push away. I want to love my WHOLE self, not just the pretty, the nice, the accommodating parts, but the upset, the angry, and the unloved parts. I want the same for YOU!
In the JourneyDance Process, I ask people to tell their story, to share the old and the new, the struggles and successes, the limiting beliefs and the inner longings. When we all dance together in this way, we give permission for power to enter. There is so much energy and power stuck up in the act of repression. It takes a lot of work not to feel. By feeling we expand our bandwidth for joy and allow compassion to enter.
This is my favorite quality of JourneyDance. (Actually I always say that about every quality!!) But with all that’s going on in the world this is very useful right now!
Movement suggestions for you:
- Experiment with this emotional song of violin
- When you tell my story to the dance floor, let it emerge slowly
- You can start from the mind but then tap into feeling
- Make shapes, expand, contract, rise and release in waves
- Give yourself full permission to embrace and love yourself regardless of where you are
- Repeat movements that help you express
- Don’t worry about how pretty messy ugly yucky it might look and feel
- Most importantly, Let yourself feel without judgement and tell your story to the dance floor.
- When complete, Hug yourself and drink plenty of water
Here is a wonderful song by Lyndsey Stirling called Take Flight and in the video below I’m moving my own story!